Friday, September 20, 2013

Red Blood, White Snow

This Friday's short story turned out to be really short for some reason! Oh, and we're back to violence again. Enjoy:


I saw the blood before I felt the bullet. The blood stood out, crimson on the snow, like wet paint on a blank canvas. The droplets felt onto the frozen ground, sinking into the snow and spreading out like blooming rosebuds.  My hand found my stomach and pressed against the wound, keeping the blood in as it dripped down my fingers, leaving sticky trails of red on my hands. The pain made my vision blur. I looked at Aaron, his hands trembling, barely able to hold onto the shaking gun.

“I- I had to,” he said, face whiter than the drifting snow around us. I thought back to his anger, red as my fresh blood, and felt the cold seeping into me.

“No, Aaron,” I said, “You didn’t have to.” My legs gave out and I fell to my knees, melted snow making its way through the thin layer of my jeans. The world was dimming, spinning, but somehow the image of the blood on snow stayed in my mind.

I tilted my head back and opened my mouth, tasting the fresh snowflakes on my tongue, and let the cold swallow me up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment