Friday, November 1, 2013

Live the Fall


It's short story Friday! Yaaaaaaaay!

“I’ve never really… done this before,” I said, glancing over at Scott. His face was unreadable as usual.

“There’s and H-level gravity net,” he said, “you’re perfectly safe.” I swallowed and looked over the edge of the platform. The landing square below looked miniscule, the maintenance staff barely visible ants scrambling across it’s surface. The gravity net was invisible of course, but even the knowledge that it was there was not reassuring.

“Don’t think, just jump,” Scott advised. Easy enough for him to say. We were so high up that I could barely stand, my head dizzy with height. The sky was clear and blue, perfect weather for jumping. I stared straight ahead into the blue and walked forward, my legs shaking slightly and my breath coming out in shivers. I kept walking until I was at the very edge of the platform. It was now or never.
Spreading my arms out, I leaned forward and let myself fall off the edge. 

I immediately felt a rushing in my ears and I could have sworn I left my stomach up there at the platform above me. Wind whistled in my ears and tore at my clothes. I felt like I was floating and sinking at the same time.

When I hit the gravity net I had the weird sensation that I was falling through gel, my fall slowed down to half speed, the air thick around me.

The gravity net dropped me ten feet above the platform and I fell again at normal speed, hitting the ground awkwardly on my side. I heard a cracking sound come from my shoulder and pain shot through my arm, but none of that mattered.

I was alive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment