Friday, October 18, 2013

Us and the Stars

And here we have another installment of Short Story Fridays!:


It was one of those old, tacky vans with the wood paneling on the sides. The light turquoise paint was mostly chipped off and it only had one wheel. Vines crept up the sides, mixing metal with vibrant green nature. Putting it plainly, the car was a wreck.

So of course it was exactly where Jamie would be.

The front door on the right side of the van was missing. Cautiously, I peered inside. She had really out done herself with this one. All of the seats had been removed and red gauzy clothe hung from the ceiling, beads and beanbags scattered all over the stained floor. It felt warm.

Jamie herself was curled in a ball on one of the beanbags, which was piled high with blankets and pillows of all shapes and sizes. “Jamie?” I said softly, stepping into the van. I had to stoop not to hit my head on the low ceiling.

“Go away, Ian,” she sniffed, burrowing deeper into her fortress of blankets.

I walked closer and sat down next to her on the floor. “You have to go back and talk to your mom, Jamie.”

“No.”

“Hey, no pouting,” I said, poking her arm.

“I’m not pouting,” she said, turning her head to face me. Her eyes looked red and watery, and dried tear tracks made two vertical lines down her face.

“Look, just go back and talk to her, she only wants to-“

“Why can’t she just talk to me herself? Why do you always have to come here for her?” Jamie blurted out.

“Because she doesn’t know how to find you,” I said, giving her my best cheeky grin.

Her eyes softened just a little. “I’ll go back and talk to her in a little bit,” she said, “I just need some time.”

“Okay,” I said, resting my head against the side of the beanbag. We sat there like that for a long time, just her and me and our own thoughts, until the sky turned orange and then purple and then black, and then it was just us and the stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment